Monday, October 19, 2009

Fall Classic Duathlon


I honestly don't know what I was thinking. Maybe it was the high of completing my first triathlon that clouded my judgement a bit. I can't be sure.
Yesterday I participate, note that I didn't say competed, in the Fall Classic Duathlon. It was a gruelling 4k run, 24k bike, 4k run. Don't get me wrong, I had fun. But I think I would have had more fun had both of the runs been on level surfaces. The hills were killers! I ran the first one in 23:52. Not too bad, I didn't want to overdo it since I had a lot more race to cover after that. The hardest part for me is definitely the bike leg. It was an out and back course, and it was on a 2 lane highway that was hilly. I rode out on the side of the road to stay out of traffic and it was just bumpy the whole way. My back is not liking me today for that. On the way back I stayed more on the road and let me say that I felt like I was flying after the slow trek out. My horrible bike time was 1:11:31, definitely impressing anyone with that.
By the time I got off the bike my legs felt like rubber and it was time to hit the running course again. I couldn't run the whole thing this time. I did run as much as possible and was running when I crossed the finish line at 26:19. Overall it was 2:04:37. I did finish though, if not impressively!
I must say the best part of the whole race was the ice cold beer that I got in my souvenir glass at the finish line. I don't think a beer has ever tasted so good. I was wondering why they run it in the afternoon, I assume that is why.
I went home and was in bed by about 7:45 last night. I took today off from exercise and it'll be back to boot camp in the morning and the running group in the afternoon. I have another 5k on Saturday. I must be crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment