Monday, March 8, 2010

Another Week...

So we've been without Lucy for almost a week now. It's weird, I still find myself wondering where she is and checking to see if she's ok. Penny and Rocky seem a little out of sorts still. I think they are wondering who is in charge of our smaller pack now. Neither one of them has laid on any of the dog pillows in the house in the last week. It's like they know that Lucy will be back and don't want to mess with her stuff.

I don't want to mess with her stuff. Her pink pillow that has been in our bedroom by the bathroom door is still there. She used to always lay on it when I was in the bathroom getting ready. We tried moving it to the other side of the room but I didn't like it there. It needs to be where she left it.

The girls seem to have recovered from her being gone, but I still feel her loss. She was my Lucy. I was thinking of some other memories we have of her...
  • When we lived in our apartment on 50th, we bought her her own Christmas stocking, and we got a bone to do in it. We hung her stocking up, with the bone in it a few weeks before Christmas and she could smell that bone. She would just sit and start at the stocking, waiting for us to give it to her.
  • Josh used to torment her with the cardboard that comes inside a roll of wrapping paper. He would chase her around with them and she would freak out and run all around.
  • If we would run out of dog food for her she would get a can of tuna, and she loved it. She never ate faster than when she had a bowl of tuna for dinner.
  • That poor ugly toenail. I don't even remember when it started to grow weird and look funny, but that toenail on her back leg was the weirdest I've ever seen. She did rip it off a few times, once when she was coming in from the back yard at the old house. I didn't realize what the yelp had been for until I saw the trial of blood spots all over the house. The girls got to go with me to take her to the vet that time, and they loved that they put a green bandage on her leg.
  • When her hot spots got bad enough that she'd need to go to the vet, there were a couple of times that they put the cone on her so she wouldn't lick anymore. I can still hear the plastic scraping on the floor as she would get any crumbs that the girls had left behind.

So now, as the days turn into weeks, and months, and years, I know that we had the best dog. I know that I won't always feel so sad without her, but I will always miss her.

Lucy at about 4-years-old, with Paige when she was probably close to turning 1. Lucy sure did love to lick the babies.

No comments:

Post a Comment