Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Veggie Lasagna...

Before I get into the food, my workout today was a hi/low cardio class, and my arms are gonna be sore.  I did nothing yesterday after the horribleness of Sunday's supposed to be 20 mile but ended up being 16 mile run/walk.  Worst run ever. 

Not sure what happened, by my knee was bothering me some and I could never really get it going.  I do have an appointment with my knee doctor next Tuesday, but I only have two long runs left so I'm going to suck it up and just do it.  We have 20 planned for Friday before the cupcake craziness, so I am thinking positive thoughts.  I am shooting to get a run in tonight, just to remind myself that I can, in fact, run.

So on to the food.  One of my favorite blogs, has a recipe for veggie lasagna yesterday.  It looked so good I had to pick up the missing ingredients and make it last night.  It took a little time, but it was well worth it.

I can take no credit for the beautiful picture, I could never take a picture that looked this good.  Truth be told my lasagna didn't look this wonderful, but it sure tasted good.

I did make a few changes to the recipe, I used zucchini and yellow squash and omitted the red pepper.  I have a general hatred for green and red peppers.  We used to have to eat stuffed green peppers when I was a kid, it was something I always hated.  I do try to eat peppers with fajitas, but other than that I generally avoid them.

I also used crushed tomatoes, partly to save time, and partly because whenever I use whole tomatoes I feel like I have to cook them for a long time to get them to break down.  The crushed are already crushed.  I didn't simmer the sauce for the full 20 minutes mostly because I was hungry.  I threw in a little sugar to cut the bitterness of the tomatoes, and the red pepper flakes added a nice bit of heat.

There is enough sauce to make a big lasagna, but since I made a smaller one, I have half of the sauce in the freezer for next time.  Love that.  Josh has not been the biggest fan of all the veggie lasagnas I have tried in the last year, but he gave this one two thumbs up.  He even has leftovers in his lunch today.

1 comment:

  1. I love veggie lasagnas! I love the zucchini and yellow squash idea! I think that is really clever!

    ReplyDelete