Sunday, February 5, 2012

Something New; Week Six…

First let me say that I have made stir-fry before.  I got my wok a while back on sale at T.J. Maxx and I have used it quite a few times.  For a vegetarian, stir-fry is a quick and easy meat free meal.

I have tried to cook with tofu before.  I have been very intimidated by it.  It has never turned out well.  It is frustrating because my favorite Asian restaurants, O Asian Fusion and even Pei Wei have tofu on their menus and it is always wonderful.

I decided to do a little research and see what kind of help I could find for tofu.  Turns out if you buy extra firm tofu and then wrap it up and add some weight to it you can remove any excess water which helps in the consistency when you cook with it.

I decided to try this and give it another go.  Note to self, if you put something too heavy on it you can damage it a bit.  Next time I try something less heavy.

In all I had quite a bit that wasn’t too smashed so I cut it up, and put it in the fridge to marinate it a bit while I got everything else ready for my stir-fry.

It turned out very well.  I used a Hoisin based sauce and I added brown rice noodles to it.

003

Mushrooms, broccoli, carrots, zucchini, and edamame. I thought it was yummy, Josh didn’t like the tofu much.  Oh well.  I do need to practice restraint when it comes to stir-fry.  I made way more than I would ever be able to eat.

I have renewed my confidence in tofu, and look forward to trying it out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment