Monday, September 2, 2013

August Training...

I didn't recap July, mostly because it was not a good month of training for me, and now August is over and I am nowhere near where I had hoped to be on September 2nd.

I logged 57 miles in August, which was five short of where I was in July. By August 11th I had already rode 76 miles on my bike and I was well on my way to feeling confident about the Half Ironman at the Redman Tri that is three weeks away. I was back in the pool, and while I am never uncomfortable in the water I was getting in the grocery of tri training.

All it took was one small rut in the road to completely derail my fall plans. Everyone I have talked to about my crash/wreck/accident (I still can't decide which makes me sound tougher) has heard me say that I know how lucky I am. While it was bad, it could have been much worse. But to go from the middle of tri training to the sudden stop of a broken bone, separated shoulder, road rash, insanely bruised legs, and banged up face is not easy. It was not easy at all. You end up with a lot of free time.

Day 12 post accident found me sitting at my desk realizing I was going to miss another Saturday group run, and I'm not embarrassed to say I had a mini meltdown. It is one thing to not be able to run because of a sprained ankle or strained quad, but not running because of an injury that didn't involve my legs was especially hard. Injured shoulder means very limited cross training options.

This was unlike any injury I have ever had. It was inescapable, everything hurt that first week. I still have some discomfort in my shoulder, and I would kill to be able to sleep comfortably on my right side. When I saw my orthopedic doctor last week he said that my shoulder is healing well but it'll probably be another month before it feels completely normal.

My face looks much better than it looked here. Yellow is not a good color for me.

Camy and Carson and I had some girl time on Friday and Saturday night. We watched Sixteen Candles, Admissions and Warm Bodies. Camy and I ordered Chinese food on Saturday and this was my fortune.

How fitting. It's not always easy, and sometimes the plan will change but I will keep going one step at a time and see where the road takes me.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment