Monday, September 27, 2010

Tie Dye Tri

I participated in the Tie Dye Tri yesterday, put on by the Norman Y.  It was nice, this year was my second time and I wasn't nervous leading up to the event like last year.  I did wake up at about 2 a.m. yesterday morning and fell back asleep long enough to dream that I couldn't find the pool for the race.

When I went to get checked in, for some reason there were more people with last names starting with A-F than any other group so it took a while for me to get checked in.  Oh yeah, and it was cold outside yesterday morning.  Cold and windy.  If they had had the event on Saturday instead of Sunday the conditions would have been perfect, but wait one day and you get cold and windy.  This is Oklahoma.

I was number 39 to start this year, and I think I passed about three people in the pool.  There was one girl at the very end that I was trying to pass, I ended up hitting her once, on accident and we finished in the pool at about the same time.  The run to the transition area was cold, as I said before.  I did feel more comfortable on my bike this year, but the route was much more difficult this year.  We had to ride north into the wind twice and that felt like it slowed me down a bunch.  My legs felt like jello at the start of the run and eventually got warmed up, but it's hard to run by myself.

Overall, I am pretty proud of how I did.  I finished in 1:31:51, which was a couple minutes slower than last year, but I had a few personal victories along the way.  My swim/bike/run times were all a bit slower than last year, but my transitions were both faster.  Of course the one thing I didn't practice was faster, go figure.  I still passed some people in the pool, I didn't feel like I got passed by as many people on the bike, and I even got to pass one person, and I still passed a few people on the run.  I even passed the guy that started one spot ahead of me in the pool.  I passed him in the pool, he passed me on the bike and I got to pass him on the run, so that was nice.

I just need to get better on the bike.  Not sure how to do that, but I'll figure it out.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! I am a terrible swimmer and can't ride a 10 speed, so I am always so impressed by someone who can do it all well!

    ReplyDelete