Friday, February 25, 2011

Blueberry Muffins...

It has been a few days since I baked anything and I was in the mood last night.  After working from home all day because Carson wasn't feeling well yesterday morning I had been noticing a lack of baked goods in my house.

I do realize that Carson no longer looks like the Cheetos cheese fingers little girl in the picture, but I can dream can't I?

We had white trim in our old house, and I was forever finding Cheetos cheese smudges in very low places in almost every room in our house.  Carson was very sticky as a child, things seemed to stick to her, but they managed to come off on our walls.

She didn't sleep well Wednesday night and I think was more exhausted than anything yesterday morning, but when those big tears started falling, I couldn't bring myself to make her go to school.  I probably should have.

I did get to spend the day working on my laptop, without any interruptions that are involved with being in the office, and I did manage to clean out the DVR a bit.  It had been bursting at the seams.


So after dropping Camy off at swim practice, I ran to Academy to stock up on supplies for tomorrow morning's 16 mile run.  (What have I gotten myself in to?)

I stocked up on Jelly Belly Sport Beans and some Organic Energy Chews and I searched for a water bottle with a handle on it, but could not find one.  I am still undecided on if I need one or not.  16 miles seems pretty far without constant hydration, but constant hydration means bathroom breaks, and I am not sure of the bathroom stops on our route.

Anyway, I got home and decided to whip up some blueberry muffins.  I almost opted for banana, because of the bananas that have been glaring at me from the counter, but instead I decided to make blueberry muffins a little healthier.  Instead of an egg I added a banana, and I am very happy with the results.

I even used olive oil instead of regular oil, and plain almond milk instead of regular milk.  I love how they turned out and can't wait to substitute bananas in other baked goods.

Better For You Blueberry Muffins
adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Ingredients

  • 1-3/4  cups  all-purpose flour
  • 1/3  cup  sugar
  • 2  teaspoons  baking powder
  • 1/4  teaspoon  salt
  • 1    banana, mashed
  • 3/4  cup  almond milk
  • 1/4  cup  olive oil
  • 3/4  cup frozen blueberries
  • 1  recipe  Streusel Topping (optional for plain and sweet variations)

directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups or line with paper bake cups; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in center of flour mixture; set aside.
2. In another bowl combine egg, milk, and oil. Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
3. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling each 2/3 full. If desired, sprinkle Streusel Topping over muffin batter in cups. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden and a wooden toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in muffin cups on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups; serve warm.
4. Makes 12 muffins
Streusel Topping: In a small bowl stir together 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour, 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon. Cut in 2 tablespoons butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in 2 tablespoons chopped pecans or walnuts.
Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment