Monday, May 13, 2013

These Dogs Cannot Camp...

I was at work Friday morning and Rochelle texted me to see if I wanted to go camping. It is widely known that I am not much of a camper, but sometimes you have friends that make anything sound like a good time. After some talk we decided that we would go, and I met Josh at Academy after work and we bought a new tent and some other camping supplies and came home and packed up and headed down to the Wichita Mountains.

We got to the campsite a little before 8, and got our tent set up.

I do love a good campfire. Austin was manning the fire, and managed to not burn himself or anyone else.

Camy was almost smiling for this picture.
We bought a six person tent this time, and once we put it up we realized that our queen air mattress and two twin mattresses would not all fit comfortably. So that was our first mistake. We did have a second mistake.
This is Rocky.

This is Penny.
Penny was trying to attack my iPad when I was trying to take this picture. She is crazy.
For some crazy reason, we thought it would be okay to take these two crazy dogs camping with us. I don't know what we were thinking. Rocky was terrified from the moment we got there. When the girls andI decided to go to bed, we took the dogs with us. Rocky just paced around and around in the tent and didn't settle down until we put him in his kennel. Unfortunately, his kennel was on some uneven ground and the kennel shook everytime he moved around, all night.
Penny, on the other hand, is convinced she is a watch dog. All 20 odd pounds of her. When Josh walked up to the tent a little later she was barking and growling, I guess it was good that no one was asleep yet. After that, she kept me up all night. She moved around the tent the entire night. A while later, she was getting after something that was near my bag which was right by my air mattress. After she spazed out for a little bit, I finally turned on a light to make sure there wasn't anything dangerous inside the tent. There was a big black bug on top of my bag, I ended up brushing it off my stuff thinking that Penny would let it go.
I didn't know where the bug was, and that kinda freaked me out too. Instead of Penny settling down, she went hunting for the bug. Then she went back to crawling all over the tent, from one person to the next, she did actually suggle up with me for about 20 minutes or so and I thought I was going to get some sleep. No such luck. Sometime later Penny peed in the tent, on my running shoes. She is a fabulously stubborn, crazy wanna be watch dog.
After no sleep, I was up at 5:45 so Rochelle and I could go for a run. More on that later.
It's hard to tell but this was a frog in the bathroom on Saturday night. The girls thought it was really funny.
We camped in the wildlife refuge, so we got to see buffalo and longhorns right on the side of the road.
We packed up pretty early on Saturday, with Josh in his boot because of his injured ankle, and we didn't really plan far enough ahead to go for a hike or anything. Plus the dogs had had enough.
We did drive to the top of Mount Scott before we left. Josh didn't want to get out of the car, not sure if it was his ankle or his fear of heights.
Camy spotted this huge caterpillar when we got out of the car. It was moving pretty fast so I didn't get a very good picture of it.

Such a beautiful view. I did a fantastic job of getting my finger in the shot.

The girls didn't complain and even smiled for me here.
It definitely was an adventure. I would definitely go back to the Wichita Mountains. Next time we will take two queen air mattresses, and leave the dogs at home. So, who wants to dog sit?


No comments:

Post a Comment