Thursday, May 17, 2012

I Do Remember How To Cook...

I have been baking lately, but it doesn't feel like I've been cooking much.

Camy had her spring orchestra concert last night so between pilates and that I squeezed in time to make Risotto-Style Orzo with Spring Vegetables, I made it and then let it sit covered while we went to see Camy play and it was perfect when we got home.

Carson was sitting by me.
Camy before the concert started.
 
Action shot!
I am amazed at how well they played.  Camy doesn't bring her violin home much now so we don't get to hear her practice at home.  In my amateur opinion I think she is pretty good.  Might just be because I'm her mom though.

So afterwards we went home and I had this for dinner...
Here's the recipe if you don't want to follow the link to the Whole Foods website...
Ingredients


4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter*
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 cups uncooked orzo pasta*
1 cup sliced carrots
1/2 cup fresh or frozen peas*
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth*
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Chopped parsley
Salt and pepper to taste

Method

Melt butter in a large heavy saucepan. Add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender but not browned. Add orzo and stir to coat. Add carrots, peas and broth. Bring to boil and cook until orzo is tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in Parmesan and cover. Let rest 5 to 8 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and season with salt and pepper.

I love a one pot meal that is full of veggies.  I usually put a little more than the recipe calls form.  If some is good for me more is better, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment