Wednesday, November 28, 2012

WIAW, Lets Talk Half Marathon Fueling...

#RWrunstreak day 8, one mile with Josh after work. I'm glad he went with me because it was really dark already.

For my WIAW post this week I thought I'd talk about the improper fueling I did for my last half marathon.

{As I type this we are watching How the Grinch Stole Christmas. One of my favorites, but its still November.}

Anyway, I should probably throw in some pictures of some recent eats before I talk about the food I didn't eat. So...

As the weather gets cooler I find myself making more soups and stews. On Sunday I made a pot do Veggie Pot Pie Soup from the Cheeky Kitchen. You should check out her pics because they are much more beautiful than any I could take. This soup is every bit as good as it looks.

I recently discovered a new foodie blog that has some fantastic looking recipes. I decided to try out the Honey Dinner Rolls to go with the soup. {Have I ever told you that I aspire to be a bread maker? No? Well I would love to make wonderful homemade bread. There, now I've told you.}

Now that we have that out of the way lets see what it looked like...

After one last rise we threw them in the oven and they turned into this...

I'm not gonna lie to you, these are AMAZing. You should make them immediately. We just had the last one with the leftover soup and I'm very sad they are all gone.

So back to half marathon fueling. We went up to Tulsa Friday night before the marathon. I ended up sleeping in on Saturday morning until 9:45! For anyone that knows me they might think I was seriously ill. I never sleep that late. I got up and went for my 30 minute shake out run, when I got back to the in-laws house I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich.

After the girls and I hit up the expo we went by Cherry Berry and got some frozen yogurt. By the time we got home it was after four, and then there was the waxing field trip. For dinner my MIL made a salad with yummy roasted veggies and lasagna.

Here I would like to point out to the lasagna makers of the world that it is not necessary to put white sauce on veggie lasagna. Really, red sauce is made of tomatoes and as a vegetarian I have to say I enjoy tomato based sauces. You can make a perfectly wonderful veggie lasagna with zucchini, mushrooms, spinach and red sauce. Talking about this is making me want to make some lasagna.

I am grateful that I have the worlds greatest MIL and she bought me my very own veggie lasagna, I just didn't eat as much of it as I should have. That seemed to be the theme for the entire day. I should have done some serious carb loading.

I did do a good job of drinking lots of Nuun water, but the lack of proper fueling really affected my race. By the time I got a Gu at about mile 8 my tank was empty. Gu on an empty stomach actually made me a little nauseous. It was not a fun feeling.

I did make it through the race, even if I was a little unhappy with my performance. The most frustrating part is that this was completely preventable on my part. I guess if running was easy everyone would do it. I did learn valuable lesson and will work hard to not repeat it next time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment