Tuesday, July 10, 2012

WIAW #10...

I feel like its been forever since my last WIAW post. This one will be a What I Ate Tuesday night post.

I tried making polenta a while back. I bought it already made so you could just slice it up and top it with whatever you wanted. Tonight I decided to give making it for real a try.

I have had this in my pantry for ages, so I read the directions and it seemed easy enough. {Not that I would have not tried if it seemed more difficult.}

You basically bring the water and salt to a boil, add the polenta and then simmer it for about 30 minutes.

I think I should be sure to lower the temperature a little quicker next time, it seemed to run out of liquid a little faster than I wanted.

After about 25 minutes I stirred in a little butter and then poured it into a greased baking dish.

I let it set while I sautéed some mushrooms in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, then topped it with pizza sauce, the mushrooms, some sliced mozzarella and a little parmasean cheese.

Then I popped it in the oven for about 20 minutes.

Please ignore the fast that the inside of my oven could use a little cleaning. I wonder if it has a cleaning setting, I actually think I have some cleaning supplies for it under my sink. The phrase "I really want to clean the oven today" NEVER crosses my mind. I do often think I should clean it, but that mostly happens when I am placing something in the oven, which is not the best time to start spraying chemicals.

Anyway...

It turned out pretty good. I think the polenta will take some practice, and I might even have to try making the cream of wheat-style version of it. Maybe a touch more salt next time.

I firmly believe you have to make something a few times before you write anything off or name it your favorite. Next time I think I'll use shredded cheese and maybe a few more veggies, but for now I have leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment