Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Green Smoothies…

Have you ever had a green smoothie?  Until about a week and a half ago I had not.  I have made smoothies before, but they mostly had fruit, grape juice and almond milk.  I did make one recently with oatmeal that was very yummy.

Quick Chiquita Banana Oatmeal Smoothie Recipe
Ingredients:
  • 2   whole Chiquita Bananas (best with brown flecks on peel)
  • 2   cups Ice
  • 1/3   cup Yogurt - preferably Greek yogurt flavored with honey
  • 1/2   cup Cooked oatmeal
  • 1/3   cup Almonds
Pour all ingredients in blender pouring ice in last. Blend on high for 30 seconds or until smoothie thickens.

I didn’t put the almonds in when I made this and it was yummy.

I have friends that swear by green smoothies.  Until recently the thought of putting spinach or lettuce in a blender and then drinking it just didn’t sound appetizing.  Boy was I wrong.

I guess the secret is the Vitamix blender.  If I put all of this in my regular blender it would not come out smooth enough to drink through a straw.

IMG_0958

Here is the list of supplies we used.

  • spinach
  • romaine lettuce
  • apples
  • bananas
  • oranges
  • kiwi
  • avocado
  • cucumber
  • strawberries
  • pineapple
  • apple juice
  • almond milk
  • frozen berries
  • broccoli

I should have kept better track of what we put in each one because we made different varieties so some tasted better than others.  I’ll do that next time.  I froze them in individual containers and have been thawing them out and have drank one almost every day since we made them.  I am definitely sold.  I have supplies in my fridge ready for our next smoothie adventure that should be coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment