Thursday, June 7, 2012

National Running Day 2012...

In case you hadn't heard, yesterday was National Running Day.  All over the world wide web the running community was buzzing about running. Sadly, I did not lace up my running shoes to join in the celebration. 

{***Injury Update--I have been cleared by my doctor to run and told to take it slow.  I did hit the treadmill on Tuesday evening and run/walk for 30 miserable minutes.  I can't decide if it's worse to not be able to run or building up after not being able to run.  I'll keep you posted on my decision.***}

Anyway...

I saw an interesting post on a blog that I follow, about all things running and figured I would just copy the format.  So here goes...

1. Favorite Running Memory...
I would have to go with my first full marathon.  If you've been reading my blog for a while you might remember my race recap of the OKC Memorial Marathon last May.  If not I'll give you the highlights.  Abby and I ran through thunder, lightening, rain, wind and hail (twice!), but we completed that 26.2 miles faster than we thought we would.  I would be happy to never run in conditions like that again, but it'll be a memory I'll never forget.


2. Favorite Running Buddy...
I could never pick just one.

Me, Rochelle, Abby, Patti and Kelsey (not pictured Kim)
I have the best group of women that I run with.  They are my sanity.  (Which explains why these last months have been so hard.)  They are the people I can go to and say, "how about we do this" and they will not think I am crazy.  Over the last year I have come to the realization that people come into your life for a reason and I don't know how I got so lucky to have all these people in my life but I am thankful every day they let me pound the pavement with them.

3. Favorite Place to Run...
Norman, Oklahoma!  We have so many routes that I love, or have learned to love in Norman.  I have even learned to love the hills.  Not so much the ones by Craig's house, but one of my favorite routes is from the Y to Robinson to 36th and back.  My last run before the 14 mile run from hell that ended in injury was this out and back route.  It was 5 am on a Thursday and it was windy, cold and rainy.  Man did I feel STRONG that day.  I can't wait to get back there!

4. Favorite Race...
Cowtown 2012.  No doubt about it, I felt incredibly strong in February when we headed to Fort Worth for this half marathon.  What a great weekend with the girls, got to hang with some really bad ass runners including Scott who won (and was disqualified from) the full marathon.  It was very exciting to see someone I knew cross that finish line first.  Even that mile long hill was worth it, and my Garmin said I was right on pace to break 1:50, either it was right or the course was a quarter mile long.  I guess we will never know.  I need to work on cutting the corners.  I can't wait until Cowtown 2013.

5. Favorite Distance...
Definitely the half marathon.  I love that I can run this distance and feel untrained (Hello Tulsa!), that I can run it and support someone in reaching their goal of making it to the finish line (Hello Chicago!), and that I don't feel completely dead after pushing myself for 13.1 miles to reach a goal.  I know the marathon is in my future, and I plan to break the 4 hour mark on the next one, but there is just something about the half that I love.  You don't have the "OH MY GAWD I AM DYING" that I associate with the 5k, and the training doesn't take over your life like marathon training does.

5. Favorite Running Dream...
Just like I could never pick one favorite running buddy, I could never pick just one running dream.  So here are a few, in no particular order.
  • I'd love to run Boston one day.  No explanation needed here.
  • I'd love to run the Hood to Coast relay.  If not this relay than I'd settle for another one.  How fun would it be to load up 11 team mates into two vans and be a part of a 200 mile trek from the start to the finish line?
  • I'd love to do a half ironman.  Technically this is not specific to running, but it's a race that includes my favorite running distance, so how awesome would that be?
 I hope everyone had a happy running day.  I am excited to meet up with my group in the morning bright and early at 5:15 and see if my legs still love running as much as my heart and mind do.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment