Monday, April 8, 2013

Spreading a little Nuun Love...

One Nuuncake at a time.

I love Nuun. I am constantly throwing these little tabs in my water bottle, I always have tubes in my purse, my car and a supply in my kitchen. I was excited to put together an application video to be a part of their Hood to Coast team this summer.

I decided that I needed to come up with something good for my video so I decided to combine my love of Nuun with my love of baking. (After all, I am always combining it with my running.) Lots of people use Nuun in their adult beverages, so why not use it in some cupcakes?

Here's how it came together.

As with most good recipes you start with butter and sugar.

Then a couple of egg whites. If you look closely there is a little bit of yellow in my egg whites. Separating eggs is not always an exact science.

Then the flour mixture goes in. Helpful hint: beat slowly when you add the flour or you will end up with a nice cloud of flour in your kitchen. Is White Lung something that bakers suffer from? Instead of coal dust, a combination of flour/baking soda/bakig powder/salt.

Then the buttermilk. Did you know you can make your own buttermilk by adding a little bit of lemon juice to regular milk? I never use regular milk when I bake, so I just add a little bit of lemon juice to almond milk instead. So in goes my fake buttermilk.

Finally I mixed in some Lemonade Nuun. I love, love, love this flavor. So good! The perfect addition to this recipe.

I baked these mini cupcakes for 15 minutes and then topped them with vanilla buttercream. This is my go to frosting. Butter, powdered sugar and vanilla these three simple ingredients make a frosting that is just heavenly.

I am sure you are asking yourself, how did they taste? Seriously, the cake ws so light and fluffy. The combination of the lemonade flavor with the vanilla buttercream really worked well. I took some of these for after our long run on Saturday and got good reviews. My girls loved them, and the one I dropped on the floor was gobbled up by Penny the pig dog.

Does she look like a dog that would eat cupcakes that didn't taste good?

So there you have it, what I am calling Nuuncakes. Cupcakes made with Nuun. Fuel and hydration all in one. I have plans to make some cherry limeade cupcakes this week alog with another batch of these. Spreadig the Nuun love one cupcake at a time.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment